Brief overview of Xopenex:
Xopenex is effective and successful medication which is commonly used in the treatment of bronchospasm in people with reversible obstructive airway disease. It is an inhalation Levalbuterol as the main active ingredient. It is a Bronchodilator that relaxes muscles in the airways and increases air flow to the lungs. It shows quick relief in managing wheezing and shortness of breath.
Xopenex comes under the class of medication called as a short-acting β2 adrenergic receptor agonist. It activates adenylate cyclase to increase the intracellular concentration of cyclic-3', 5'-adenosine Monophosphate (cyclic AMP). It opens breathing passages and causes relaxing muscles.
What are the contraindications of Xopenex?
- You should not use this medication if you are suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure, or congestive heart failure.
- You should not use this medication if you are suffering from seizure disorder; diabetes; or a thyroid disorder.
- Do not use Xopenex if you are allergic to any ingredient present in the Xopenex.
What are the drug interactions of Xopenex?
- You should not use any other medicines to treat asthma or COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
- Do not use an antidepressant.
- Do not use diuretic water pill.
- Do not use medicine to treat a heart condition.
How to take Xopenex?
You should open the foil pouch and pour the medicine into the chamber of the nebulizer then attach the drug chamber to the compressor. Now you should place the mouthpiece into your mouth or put on the face mask, covering your nose and mouth. Turn on the compressor and breathe in slowly and evenly until no more mist is formed by the nebulizer and the drug chamber is empty. You should clean the nebulizer after each use.
What are the side effects of Xopenex?
While using this medication few common side effects may appear such as dizziness, nervousness, tremors; runny nose, sore throat; chest pain or tightness, irregular heartbeats; pain; or vomiting.
Precautionary measures that should follow while using Xopenex
- Keep your inhaler clean and dry.
- You should keep the inhaler away from open flame or high heat, such as in a car on a hot day.
- Do not consume alcohol.