Brief overview of Sumatriptan
Imitrex is an oral formulation which comprises of generic Sumatriptan as an active component. This medicine is used to treat headache which narrows blood vessels around the brain. Sumatriptan also reduces the substances present in the body that triggers headache pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, and other migraine symptoms Imitrex is used to treat migraine headaches with or without aura in adults.
Conditions in which Sumatriptan should not be used are:
- This medicine should not be sued if you are hypersensitive to generic Sumatriptan or any other component present in this medicine.
- A person suffering from severe liver disease should avoid consumption of this medicine.
- If you are suffering from coronary artery disease, chest pain, blood circulation problems, lack of blood supply to the heart, then you should avoid intake of this medicine.
Medicines that should not be consumed along with Imitrex are:
- Antidepressant such as Citalopram, Duloxetine, Escitalopram, Fluoxetine, Fluvoxamine, Paroxetine, Sertraline and Venlafaxine.
Prescribed dose of Imitrex
A person should consume one tablet of Imitrex as soon as you start experiencing symptoms of a migraine. You can take the tablet mixed into a small amount of water. If your migraine starts to come back, you can take another dose, but only after at least two hours of the initial dose.
Intake of Imitrex may lead to various unwanted ill effects such as drowsiness or dizziness, feeling of tiredness and numbness, rise in blood pressure, tightness of the neck, stomach pain, muscle cramps and stiffness, blurred vision, anxiety, sweating, swelling of the hands and feet and trouble in breathing.
Precautions to be followed administering Imitrex tablet are:
- Intake of this medicine may impair your thinking and reaction so you should avoid driving or doing any work that requires complete alertness and quick response.
- You should not consume this medicine within 24 hours before or after using another migraine headache medicine including Almotriptan, Frovatriptan, Naratriptan or ergot medicine such as Dihydroergotamine , Ergotamine etc.