Drug description of Provigil-
Provigil is a very efficient drug used for enhancement of sleep. Patients who are suffering from narcolepsy, excessive daytime sleep, and sleep apnea are treated with the dose of Provigil.
Working of Provigil-
Provigil is used for the treatment of narcolepsy and sleep apnea. The main active constituent of Provigil is Modafinil. Generic Modafinil belongs to the class of medications known as dopamine reuptake inhibitor. The main mode of action of Provigil is to alter certain natural chemicals like neurotransmitters in the brain. As generic Modafinil works as a wakefulness-promoting agent, so it will persuade wakefulness in an appropriate manner.
Contradictory effects of Provigil-
- Ø In the case of hypersensitivity, you should talk to your medical practitioners before consuming the dose of Provigil and you should ask your physician for the alternative drugs before using it.
- Ø Under certain medical conditions such as heart problems like enlarged heart, mitral valve problem, chest pain, heart attack, irregular heartbeat, and hypertension, liver disorders, and mania, you are not allow taking Provigil.
Drug interactions of Provigil-
Several drugs may interact with the dose of Provigil like Methamphetamine, birth control pills, Ritonavir, Paritaprevir, Axitinib, Bosutinib, and cough preparations so you should not take it along with drugs.
Dosage regimen for Provigil-
Dose for narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnea- The most recommended dose of Provigil is 200mg. You can take it via the oral route only once in a day. You should take it most probably in the morning. The dose of Provigil may increase up to 400mg per day. The dose may increase or decrease according to certain parameters like age, medical condition, and tolerance.
The dose for shift work disorder- The most recommended dose of Provigil is 200mg, via the oral route only once in a day. You should take an hour before the work shift gets started.
Aggravating effects of Provigil-
The most common aggravating effects you may feel after consuming the dose of Provigil are nausea, vomiting, headache, anxiety, nervousness, back pain, loss of appetite, and indigestion.
Cautionary measures while using Provigil-
- Ø Do not drive or use any machinery while taking Provigil as this drug may lessen your capability to respond hurriedly.
- Ø Intake of alcohol is strictly not allowed while using Provigil.
- Ø If you are pregnant women and breastfeeding mother, you should not take this medication without the previous discussion of the physician.