Unwanted 72 bind to progesterone and estrogen receptor. The target system includes the female reproductory tract, the mammary gland, the hypothalamus and the pituitary. Once they bound to the receptor, progestin like levenorgestrel will slow the frequency of release of gonadotropins releasing hormones from the hypothalamus and blunt the pre ovulatory LH surge.
Levonorgestrel Tablet is supplied as tablet which is available as 1.5 mg. The tablet is taken as soon as possible within 72 hours after unprotected intercourse or suspected contraceptive failure. Efficacy is better if the tablet is taken as soon as possible after unprotected intercourse. Levonorgestrel tablet can be used at any time during the menstrual cycle. If vomiting occurs within two hours of taking the tablet, consideration should be given to repeating the dose.
The side effects which are seen due to Levenorgestrel include heavier or lighter menstrual bleeding, spotting or bleeding between menstrual.
There are sides effects of Unwanted 72 tablet usually subside on their own or may need minor treatment where applicable. They are not life threatening and are easily curable. They may be summed up as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, tiredness, headache, dizziness breast pain or tenderness and severe low abdominal pain.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to levenorgestrel or any other medication or any other ingredients or list of ingredients.
- Tell your doctor if you ever had any medical conditions.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast feeding.
The use of Unwanted 72 is contraindicated when one or more of the following conditions exist
- In case of pregnancy or suspicion of Pregnancy: cannot be used for post coital contraception.
- Acute pelvic inflammatory or history of pelvic inflammatory disease unless there has been a subsequent intrauterine pregnancy.
- Uterine bleeding of unknown etiology
- Untreated acute cervicitis or vaginitis including bacterial vaginosis.
- In case of Acute liver disease or liver tumor Unwanted 72 should not be used.
- Drug or Herbal products that induce certain enzymes such as CYP3A4 may decrease the effectiveness of progestin pills.
- If you are using medication like Barbiturates such as Butabarbital, Mephobarbital and Phenobarbital and have kidney and hepatic impairment.
- The following medication reduce the efficacy of Unwanted 72 tablet and due care must be taken to suspect or look for the occurrence of pregnancy at the end of the cycle.
- Anticonvulsant: Phenytoin, Carbamazepin, Phenobarbitone
- Antituberculosis: Rifampin, Rifabutin
- Antibiotics: Ampicillin, Cotrimoxazole, Clarithromycin
Store levonorgestrel emergency contraceptive at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Symptoms of overdose includes nausea and vomiting
Missing the dose of Levonorgestrel greatly increases your risk of becoming pregnant.