Sertraline is an oral dosage used to treat mental disorder such as panic disorder, premenstrual dysphonic disorder, social anxiety disorder, post traumatic stress disorder. Mental illness generally occurred due to imbalance of various neurotransmitters in the body and having the symptoms of being unhappy, sad, frequent eating, abnormal sleeping, fear, hurting, suicidal attempts etc. It is suggested to take this medicine in a day at the same time, to treat the various signs of depression.
Sertraline is the active moiety, which belongs to the class of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).Serotonin is the neurotransmitter which is used by the brain and neuron to communicate with each other, imbalance of serotonin causes anxiety, stress, and mental disturbance. This drug acts by inhibiting reuptake of serotonin and increases the level of serotonin.
The use of this drug is contraindicated in certain situation:
- If the individual is having any allergy to sertraline or any of the ingredients in Sertraline.
- History of seizure or in epileptic disorder
- In case of recent heart attack, or in stroke
Avoid the intake of certain drug while taking Sertraline tablet. Simultaneous intake can increase, decrease or modify the therapeutic effects of this drug.
- Avoid intake of antipsychotic medicine such as Pimozide because it can cause serious heart problems.
- Avoid intake of monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). Concomitant use leads to frequent rise in the level of serotonin.
- Store it at room temperature, between 15°C to 30°C
- Keep out of the reach of children or pets.
This drug may be taken with or without food once in a day at the same time either in the morning or in the evening.
- For Major depressive disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder in adult the recommended dose is 50 mg once a day
- For Panic disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder and social anxiety disorder in adult initial dose is 25 mg.
- For premenstrual dysphoric disorder, take one 50 mg one in a day, either daily throughout the menstrual cycle or during the latter phase of the menstrual cycle.
· For Obsessive compulsive disorder initial dose start with 25 mg once a day in children between 6 and 12 years of age; in those between 13 and 17 starts with 50 mg a day.
What to do in case of missed dose?
In case of missed dose, take the missed dose as soon as recall. Do not take it more than the prescribed dose as it may cause overdose symptoms such as desire of sleep, gastrointestinal disorders, nausea and vomiting, increase in heart rate, shake, agitation and faintness.
This drug has some side effects along with its therapeutic effects. Some common Side Effects include frequent sweating, dryness in mouth, nausea, diarrhea, troubled stomach as well as lethargy, difficulty in sleeping or dizziness.
- Avoid alcohol while taking this drug since drinking alcohol can increase some of Sertraline’s side effects.
- Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with this drug and lead to potentially dangerous effects.
- Avoid the work which requires alertness, because it may cause dizziness.