Overview of Tofranil-
Tofranil is the effective and renowned medication, which is used to treat the symptoms of depression and bed wetting in child over the age of 5 years. Generic Imipramine is a main active ingredient found in this drug and it comes under the class of Tricyclic antidepressant. It simply acts by preventing the neuronal reuptake of the neurotransmitters such as nor epinephrine and serotonin. Imipramine works by inhibiting the consequence of acetylcholine in the urinary bladder.
Known your disease-
- Imbalance in the level of neurotransmitter is generally responsible for the cause of depression. In case of depression, patient behaves abnormally, sudden eating or sleeping, miserable, sad, negative thought, aggressive, fear etc.
- Bed wetting refers to the unintended passage of urine on the bed.
Contraindications of Tofranil-
Tofranil is not to be administered under below mentioned conditions-
- If you are oversensitive to generic Tofranil or any of its ingredients.
- If you are previously using monoamine oxidase inhibitors such as isocarboxacid.
- After any heart surgery
Drug interactions of Tofranil-
- Anti-Parkinson's-Valproic acid, Levodopa,
- MAO inhibitors- Linezolid, Moclobemide methylene blue,
- Antidepressants drugs- Fluoxetin, Venlafaxine
Storage of Tofranil-
- Store this drug at room temperature and in a dry place.
- Keep this medicine away from the reach of the children.
Doses of Tofranil-
It is suggested to take this drug via the oral route with full glass of water. The treatment frequently continues for 1 to 3 months for bed wetting and for the treatment of depression it is continued up to 4-6 month.
- For depression- The maximum prescribed dose is 300mg. It is strictly advised to consume 25mg of this drug 3times in a day with or without foodstuff.
- For bed wetting- The standard dose for children age 5-8 years is 20 to 30 mg.
In case of missed dose of Tofranil-
Follow your dosing regimen of Tofranil strictly for getting best and effective result but do not take two tablets of Tofranil at same time.
In case of overdose of Tofranil-
Visit your nearest hospital and get emergency medical help, if you face any overdosing symptoms of Tofranil.
Adverse effects of Tofranil-
- Disturbed sleep
- Sores in the mouth or on the Tongue
- Increased sensitivity to the sun
- Hair loss
Serious side effects of Tofranil-
- Yellow color to the skin
- Eye pain
- Difficulty in speaking
- Regular passing of large amounts of urine
Safety and precautions-
- Avoid driving or any machinery work as it induces the inclination of dizziness.
- Avoid use of alcohol while taking this drug.
- Apply sunscreen cream or lotion while going outside during daytime as this medicine makes the skin more sensitive towards sun and cause suntan.