Overview of Fluoxetine
Fluoxetine is an anti depressant, which belong to the category of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI). This medicine is used for the treatment of depression, bulimia nervosa, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Fluoxetine is sometime used in combination along with other medicine called Olanzapine for treatment of bipolar disorder and this combination is also used for the treatment of depression after the failure of 2 other medicine for treating depression.
This medicine functions by acting on the unbalanced chemicals such as serotonin, nor epinephrine present in the brain of people suffering from depression, panic, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive symptoms.
Conditions in which Fluoxetine should not be consumed are
- Avoid intake of this drug in case of person suffering from epileptic disorder.
- If you are suffering from the carcinoma of liver, then you should not take this medicine.
- In case of narrow angle glaucoma, you should avoid consumption of this medicine.
- If you are allergic to Fluoxetine, then you should not consume this medicine.
- Avoid consumption of this medicine if you are being treated with electroconvulsive therapy.
· Benzodiazepines such as Diazepam
· Antipsychotics: Clozapine, Risperidone, Ziprasidone
- Anticonvulsant drugs: Carbamazepine , Phenytoin
Advisory dose of Fluoxetine
- Dose for treatment of depression: An initial dose of 20 mg should be consumed orally via mouth once in a day mainly at morning. In case if an increase in the dose is required then you take a dose of 20mg once in a day or two times in a day i.e. in morning and at noon. The maximum dose of Fluoxetine should not increase more than 80 mg in a day.
- For treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: A person should consume a dose of 20mg once in a day in morning.
- For treatment of Bulimia Nervosa: A person should administer a dose of 60 mg once in a day in morning.
For the treatment of Panic Disorder: An initial dose of 10 mg should be taken in a day. You can increase the dose up to 20mg in a day as per the requirement.
Adverse effect of Fluoxetine are sleep problems (insomnia), strange dreams, headache, dizziness, vision changes, tremors or shaking, feeling anxious or nervous, pain, weakness, yawning, tired feeling, upset stomach, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dry mouth, sweating, hot flashes, changes in weight or appetite, stuffy nose, sinus pain, sore throat and decreased libido.
Precautionary measures should be followed while using Fluoxetine:
- Intake of Fluoxetine impairs your thinking and makes you drowsy, then you should not drive or do nay task that requires full alertness.
- You should avoid drinking of alcohol as it increases the chances of adverse effect of this medicine.
- You should consume non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen, Diclofenac along with this medication after consulting a doctor as it may lead you to bleed easily.