Description of Desvenlafaxine
Desvenlafaxine is a serotonin-nor epinephrine reuptake inhibitor, which is used to treat depression. It is also used from improving your mood, feelings of happiness, and enhances the energy level. This medicine is also used for treating hot flashes along with menopause, anxiety and panic attacks. It functions by restoring the balance of certain natural substances called serotonin and nor epinephrine present in the brain
Contraindication of Desvenlafaxine
- You should not consume this medicine if you are allergic to Desvenlafaxine.
- Avoid consumption of this medication if you are suffering from liver and kidney disease.
- If you are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitor like Furazolidone, Isocarboxazid, then you should not take this medicine for at least 14 day after stopping the consumption of monoamine oxidase inhibitor.
- A person with the history of stroke should avoid intake of this medicine.
- If you are experiencing blood related disorder or problem of blood clot, then you should avoid consumption of this medicine.
- Avoid taking medicines to treat migraine such as Triptans along with Desvenlafaxine.
- Tramadol should not be consumed along with Desvenlafaxine.
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors like Linezolid should not be taken with this medication.
- Tryptophan supplements should not be taken with Desvenlafaxine.
- Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen, Diclofenac sodium.
Storage condition of Desvenlafaxine
- You should store this medicine at room temperature in a cool and dry place.
- It should be kept away from the heat, light and moisture.
- Keep this medicine away from the reach of children.
Dose of Desvenlafaxine
A patient should consume a prescribed dose of 50 mg once in a day regularly. This medicine can be taken with or without food. The dose of 50 mg is both an initial dose and the therapeutic dose. You should consume this medication at the same time regularly. As this medicine is available in the form of tablet so it should be swallowed the tablet as whole via mouth along with sufficient amount of fluid and you should avoid crushing and breaking of this tablet.
At the time of discontinuation of this therapy a dose of 25 mg per day should be reduced gradually.
Some adverse effect that may result after consumption of Desvenlafaxine
are Drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, dry mouth, constipation, loss of appetite, weight loss, blurred vision, nervousness, trouble sleeping, or excessive sweating, rise in blood pressure, shortness of breath, vomiting, changes in vision, fever and restlessness.
Important points that should be kept in mind while consuming Desvenlafaxine are:
- You should stop this medication after consulting a doctor with a gradual decrease of a dose of 25mg in a day so reduce the risk of side effects of this medicine.
- Pregnant and breast feeding females should consume this medicine by consulting a doctor.
- People above 65 years should consume this medication with extreme caution.