Desyrel (Trazodone 25mg)
Desyrel is the drug used to treat depression. It is prescribed to treat the combine symptoms of anxiety and depression. It belongs to a group of medications known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRIs). This drug corrects the level of serotonin neurotransmitter in the brain. It is recommended to take this drug in the evening at bedtime. It is approved by FDA.
In Desyrel, Trazodone is the active chief drug. It belongs to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRIs).This drug improves the symptoms of depression by maintaining the level of neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain. As low level of serotonin is the main cause of depression. It works by inhibiting the level of serotonin reuptake by the nerves in the brain. This makes more serotonin available for stimulating other nerves.
What are the benefits of taking Desyrel?
It is used for the management of disorders associated with depression and anxiety.
The use of this drug is contraindicated in certain situation
- In case of any allergy to Trazodone or any of its constituents
- In case of taking MAO inhibitors within last 14 days
- Not to be recommended in child or adolescent
- Avoid intake of antibiotic drugs such as azithromycin, moxifloxacin;clarithromycin
- Avoid antifungal medication such as itraconazole, ketoconazole;
- Avoid blood thinner such as warfarin
- Avoid anti-epileptic drug such as carbamazepine,, phenytoin
- Avoid anti tuberculosis medication such as rifapentine, rifabutin, rifampin, rifapentine.
- Keep this drug in the container it came in, firmly closed.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture.
Do not chew, divide, or crush the tablet. It is recommended to take this drug at bedtime daily.
In adult, for the treatment of depression the initial dose is 50-100mg, regularly once in a day at bedtime. It may increase up to 300mg at an interval of 1-2 week. The symptoms get started improving in 1-2 week, but it takes up to 4-6 week for complete results.
What to do in case of missed dose?
In case of missed dose, take the missed dose as soon as recall. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and take next dose at the regular time. Do not take two doses of this drug to catch up
What to do in case of overdose of Desyrel?
Overdose symptoms may include vomiting, drowsiness, penis erection that is painful or prolonged, irregular heartbeat, seizure, or breathing disorder. It could be dangerous. Avoid overdose of this drug.
What are the adverse effects of Desyrel?
Adverse effects are the unwanted effects along with its desirable effects. This includes Dry mouth, Blurred vision, Dizziness, Nausea, Headache, Drowsiness vomiting, Confusion, Edema ,Constipation, lack of coordination, Nasal congestion, hypotension, Tremor, Weight change .Some serious side effects include sexual disorder, painful erection, Sedation.
- Avoid drinking of alcohol because this drug leads to blurred vision and drowsiness
- Don’t share your drug with anyone else.
- Avoid driving or any machinery work, because this drug may ruin your thinking power.
- Don’t stop intake of this medicine suddenly.