Cytotec or Misoprostol is used to induce abortion in women so that the birth of the child does not occur. It can be done when the pregnancy is less than 49 days old. After this, the chances of complications and incomplete termination of pregnancy increases.
Pregnancy can be of two types- Intrauterine or Ectopic pregnancy. In Intrauterine or normal pregnancy the fetus develops in the womb of the female whereas in Ectopic pregnancy the fetus develops outside the womb of the female. It is very important that you undergo Misoprostol abortion within first 12 weeks of your pregnancy.
It is necessary to get an Ultrasonographic test done to confirm the type and time of pregnancy before undergoing medical abortion.
Misoprostol abortion works only when the pregnancy is Intrauterine or normal. It will not cause termination of pregnancy if there is Ectopic pregnancy.
Cytotec abortion is done in the first 12 weeks of intrauterine pregnancy. Misoprostol is available in the standard dose of 200mcg. 4 tablets of this medication are required to initiate an abortion. After that, take 8 tablets of Misoprostol to complete the process of medical abortion.
Females with an intrauterine contraceptive device (IUD) in place should have it removed before using this medication. The earlier in the pregnancy it is consumed the better, as it is safer, more successful and less aching. Misoprostol can be used later in pregnancy but the risks of difficulties are higher.
Cytotec can be taken via either vaginal route or oral route. Introduce 4 pills of this medication deeply into the vagina or in the mouth below the tongue. If tables are placed under the tongue, hold in the mouth for half an hour to allow them to melt, and then swallow the remaining medication.
Repeat this procedure two more times at an interval of 3 hours. Bleeding and cramping may begin half an hour after taking these pills. Bleeding itself does not mean that an abortion has occurred.
The use of Cytotec should be avoided in below mentioned cases:-
- If you are already pregnant
- If you are facing problems like anemia
- If you are allergic to generic Misoprostol
- If the patient has atypical vaginal blood loss
Some unpleasant effects of Cytotec are sickness, emotional depression, fever, cramping, inflammation of the vagina, pain or infection in the pelvic region, mood swings, etc.
- Girls under the age of 16 years should not get this medication.
- Don't get this pill, if you have hepatic malfunction and kidney.
- Eat healthy and nutritive diet after abortion to recover your wounds.
- In case of constant fever and stomach pain female should take immediately medical help.
- Avoid use of alcoholic beverages along with this pill.
- It is necessary to get an Ultrasonographic test done to confirm whether you have successfully aborted or not.