Cymbalta is a brand drug containing Duloxetine, which belongs to a group of medicines called Serotonin and Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs). It is used to treat major depressive disorder (depression), anxiety, Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathic Pain (nerve pain caused by diabetes in the condition).It shows its effect by balancing the neurotransmitter in the brain. It usually shows its effect in 1 to 4 weeks and may take up to 4 to 7 weeks to achieve the complete effect.
In Cymbalta, Duloxetine is the core drug, It belongs to the category of Serotonin and Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs).SNRIs are believed to work by inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin and noradrenaline in the brain. Serotonin and noradrenaline are the chemical messengers responsible for causing the depression.
The use of this drug in contraindicated in certain condition
- In case of any allergy to Duloxetine hydrochloride or any of its ingredients.
- If you have taken any monoamine oxidase inhibitors such as isocarboxazid
- In case of any liver disease
- In case of taking any other medicine for depression such as Fluvoxamine
- It is not recommended for use in children or adolescents under the age of 18 years.
Avoid intake of certain drug while taking this drug
- Avoid intake of NSAID(such as aspirin),and Warfarin a blood thinning agent
- Avoid intake of drug used to treat schizophrenia and Antidepressant drugs such as venlafaxine , fluoxetin,
- Avoid the intake of drugs used to treat migraine such as sumatriptan
- Don't intake of MAO inhibitors such as moclobemide methylene blue, linezolid,
- Store in a cool dry place at room temperature.
- Keep away from the reach of the children or pets.
Swallow the whole tablet with a full glass of water. Do not chew or crush.
- In adult patient, for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder or Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathic Pain is to take 40 mg tablet once daily.
- However for the treatment of Anxiety Disorder dose is between 30 mg and 120 mg, taken once daily.
What to do in case of Missed dose?
In case of missed dose, take the missed dose as soon as recall. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and take next dose at the regular time. Do not take two doses of this drug to catch up
What to do in case of overdose?
Symptoms of an overdose may include convulsions, and vomiting, shaking, trembling, hallucinations, sweating; muscle twitches, wild heart rate, tiredness, confused, feeling restless. Avoid intake of overdose of this drug.
Some common side effects of this drug include anxiety, troubled sleep, confusion, trembling, Nausea, Sores in the mouth or on the Tongue, faintness, indigestion. Some serious side effects include yellow color to the skin, skin rash, and eye pain, difficulty in speaking, swelling of face or lips, irritability.
- Avoid driving or any machinery work as it damages thought and cause dizziness.
- Don’t share this drug with others.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking this drug, as it causes lightheadedness.
- Wear protective cloth or sunscreen while taking this drug, as this drug makes the skin sensitive.