Product description of Clonazepam
Clonazepam is approved by an FDA in 1975 for reducing the symptoms like anxiety and nervousness that may occur due to the depression.
Class of this drug: Benzodiazepines
Available brands of this drug: Klonopin and Rivotril
Available dosage form of this drug: Oral tablet
Available doses of this drug: 0.5, 1 and 2 mg
Mechanism of action of Rivotril:
This drug produces its advantageous effect by balancing the level of certain natural occurring chemical and causing soothing effect in the brain. This drug is further act by:
- Combining to the GABA receptors present in the CNS
- Potentially enhance the activity of GABA
- Blocking the cell reticular formation
- Inhibiting the neurotransmission
- Causing calming effect
Indications of Klonopin:
This drug successfully treats various symptoms that may occur due to the various disorders like:
- Panic attack
- Post traumatic stress disorder
This drug is also used to treat seizures, mania, tourette syndrome, hallucinogen persisting perception disorder.
This drug also proves its effectiveness against chronic fatigue, restless leg syndrome, night terror and social phobia.
This dosage form is infrequently utilized to rectify insomnia.
Some Contraindications of Klonopin are:
- Allergy to this any ingredient of this drug
- Chronic issues related to hepatic and renal
- History of drug addiction
- Disorders related to respiratory tract
- History of depression and suicidal thoughts
Drug interactions of Rivotril:
The risk of side effects that may occur due this drug is enhanced by taking this drug with Disulfiram.
The therapeutic effect of this drug is inactivated or diminished by taken along with some medicines. Such medicines are barbiturates derivatives and anti epileptic drugs.
Those drugs that can be severely enhance the activity of this medicine, when taking together. These drugs are anti histaminic drugs and opioid analgesics.
Storage condition for Clonazepam:
- This drug should be kept at temperature should be ranges from 15 to30° C.
- The dosage form should be protected from heat and moisture and keep at dry and hygienic place.
Dose and mode of administration of Klonopin:
Take this drug through oral cavity, with a glass of water.
The dosage form of this drug should be depended upon the various conditions like:
- Age and weight of the patients
- Type and severity of this disorder
- Response to the therapy
Initially take lowest dose of this drug, once in a day.
After some time enhance your dose to 1 mg in a day. The dose of this drug should not be exceeding to 4 mg within 24 hours.
Avoid taking additional or extra dose of this drug, if you forget to take any dose of this drug.
Overdosing symptoms of this drug are:
- Slurred speech
- Loss of consciousness
- Respiratory depression
- Loss of coordination
Side effects that may cause due to Klonopin are:
- Lack of sensation of the extremities
- Decreases libido
- Reduces mental ability
- Impaired cognition
Important information about Clonazepam:
This drug can harm unborn baby; so it is not given to the pregnant woman.
It is beneficial to reduce the dose of this drug before ending the therapy, to avoid the symptoms of withdrawal symptoms.
Avoid drinking alcohol while having this drug.