What is the brief description of Bacopa Monnieri?
Bacopa Monnieri knew mostly as Brahmi, which acts as an adaptogen that means it helps the body to adapt stressful or new condition. Bacopa Monnieri commonly known as water hyssop is used in Ayurveda. It improves cognition by suppressing anxiety. It is also known to increase memory formation. Bacopa Monnieri elevates certain chemicals that are involved in the thinking process, learning, and memory. It protects brain cells from chemicals that are involved in Alzheimer's disorder.
What are the functions of Bacopa Monnieri?
- Liver health: It detoxifies liver and removes toxins thereby preventing liver damage.
- Brain health: With age, there occurs degradation. The active ingredient in Bacopa Monnieri has positive influence on brain that regenerates brain tissue.
- Protection against neonatal hypoglycemia: Low blood sugar can cause serious brain damage. The extracts of Bacopa Monnieri protect brains of newborn from damage.
- Prevents opioid dependence: Some opioid drugs cause drug dependence, Bacopa Monnieri decreases severity of drug dependence.
- Improves normal blood pressure: Bacopa Monnieri improves the use of nitric oxide and so helps in effective vascular function thereby keeping normal blood pressure.
- Antioxidant activity: Bacopa Monnieri protects from oxidative cellular damage.
What is the dosage information of Bacopa Monnieri?
For sharpening memory, the dose of Bacopa Monnieri is 300 mg extract per day at 50% bacosides. It is important to start the dose from low strength. It requires extended regimen for over four to six weeks or up to 12 weeks.
What are the warnings and precautions?
- Bacopa Monnieri may cause slow heart rhythm so be careful when you have to use in a patient already having a slow heart rate.
- It may cause congestion in the intestine so be careful before using it.
What are the side effects with Bacopa Monnieri?
It is generally safe but most common side effects seen with Bacopa Monnieri are
- Increased bowel movements
- Dry mouth, indigestion
- Fatigue, thyroid disorder
- Urinary tract problem, gastrointestinal blockage
- Bradycardia or slow heartbeat
What are the drug interactions with Bacopa Monnieri?
Some drugs that highly interact with Bacopa Monnieri are anticholinergics (Atropine, Scopolamine) that decrease the action of Bacopa.