Overview of Anafranil clomipramine
Anafranil is a medicine, which helps in coping with depression and other mental disorders like obsessive-compulsive disorder. It is also used in chronic pain, panic disorder and major depressive disorder. This drug belongs to the category of tricyclic anti-depressants.
Brand Anafranil contains generic clomipramine, which works by inhibiting the action of histamine H1 receptor, muscarinic acetylcholine receptors and α1 adrenergic receptor.
Anafranil is contraindicated in some conditions such as
- Patients who have recent history of myocardial infarction should avoid the use of this drug.
- If you have Narrow angle glaucoma then do not take this drug.
- In condition of mania, do not take this medicament.
- Never take it with monoamine oxidase inhibitor as it may cause serious side effects.
Drug interaction: Some drugs should be avoided along with the use of this Anafranil, so do take them along with this
- Medicines for high blood pressure Clonidine and Guanethidine
- Blood thinners such as Warfarin
- Anti-platelet drugs including aspirin
- NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen
- MAO inhibitors like Isocarboxazid and Linezolid
- SSRIs such as Fluoxetine
- SNRIs such as Duloxetine
- Macrolide antibiotics such as Erythromycin
Storage condition: The drug should be stored at the place where and direct heat and sunlight cannot reach easily. Keep this medicament in humidity free environment.
The prescribed intake of Anafranil that should be consumed: This is available in the form of tablet, so patients can take it easily. The dose of this drug should be taken along with water either before intake of food or after intake of food. The daily dose of Anafranil should not be more than 250 gm for and 200 mg for adults. Do not take grapefruit and grape juice along with this drug because it can increase the unwanted chemicals in body. The maximum intake of this drug is about 2 to 3 weeks, so do not take more than this otherwise it can reduce overdose.
You may feel some adverse side effects after taking Anafranil such as confusion, depression, changes in desire, tiredness, blurred vision, changes in appetite, constipation, dry mouth, stomach upset, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, diarrhea, vomiting and muscle stiffness.
Safety measures should be followed while using Anafranil:
- Avoid the use of this drug if you ever had allergic reaction towards Anafranil or any other antidepressants such as Imipramine and Nortriptyline.
- Individuals, who have a history of serious hospitalization against a serious disease or condition such as Neuroleptic malignant syndrome, then avoid the use of this drug.
- Avoid the intake of alcohol along with the use of this drug as it may increase the risk of the occurrence of seizures.
- Individuals who have taken Anafranil should take some rest just after taking the tablet as it produces lightheadedness.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding mother should avoid the use of this drug.
- If you have a recent history of head surgery, then avoid the use of this medicine.