Abortion pill is a medicine used to terminate unwished pregnancy. Abortion pill is composed of two medications that are Mifepristone and Misoprostol as a core medicine. This abortion pill is effectively used in pregnancy which is up to 9 weeks. This tremendous medication is widely used whole over the world. Abortion pill is a great resolution for carrying out abortion with safe and effective manner by means of medical abortion. The surgical abortion gives various advantages as it is a pain free method which not requires any incision and anesthesia during abortion.
Mechanism of action:
Mifepristone- It has anti-progesterone activity which inhibits the receptors of the progesterone hormone. Therefore it results into the alteration of uterus lining, which cause detachment of uterus lining and makes the cervix relaxed which results in termination of undesired pregnancy.
Misoprostol- It is a selective prostaglandin receptor agonist which makes disturbances in contraction of the uterus and which force out dead fetus with the blood.
- Do not use this medication in female who is sensitive towards Mifepristone and Misoprostol.
- Avoid the consumption of abortion pill, if you are suffering from any blood related disorders.
- It is contraindicated in case of pregnancy outside the uterus of mother (ectopic pregnancy).
- It should not be used by those women who are using intrauterine device.
- Do not use Abortion pill if you are having renal disease or hepatic failure.
- Avoid the consumption of this medicine concurrently with anticoagulant medications such as Warfarin, and Heparin.
- Do not use abortion pill along with Oral corticosteroids like Prednisone.
- It may interact with some antifungal drugs like Ketoconazole and Itraconazole.
Dosage information and direction for use:
Abortion pill contains five tablets that are 1 tablet of Mifepristone 200 mg consume orally and 4 tablets of Misoprostol 200 mcg each taken either orally or vaginally as a single dose at same time.
On day 1- A female should consume one tablet of Mifepristone with empty stomach along with a glass of water.
On day 3- A female should consume another four tablets of Misoprostol as unit dose along with water which induces bleeding within 6-8 hours after consumption of medication.
On 14 day- patient should go to a nearby clinic for the evidence of end of pregnancy by taking ultrasound scan.
Consumption of abortion pill may causes some undesired adverse reaction like heavy vaginal bleeding, weakness, vomiting, dizziness, cramps, headache, abdominal pain, sweating more than normal, fainting, and difficulty in breathing.
Precautions and safety measures:
- You should remove your intrauterine device before consuming abortion pill.
- Do not perform any work and physical exercise that creates pressure on lower abdominal area and should take proper rest.
- Consume healthy diet which contains proteins, minerals, and vitamins after the process of abortion.
- You should avoid the physical intercourse for some days.
- You should avoid abortion pill in pregnancy which exceeds 63 days.