Brief overview of Azelastine-
Azelastine is an ophthalmic solution that belongs to the category of anti-allergic drugs or antihistamines. Azelastine is the generic component of ophthalmic brands that are used to treat allergic conditions in eyes due to the release of materials, which causes allergic symptoms. Conjunctivitis is the general condition of allergy that is treated by using Azelastine. However, hypersensitivity because of irritation or redness in eyes due to contact lenses is not treated by suing Azelastine eye drop.
Contrary situations for the use of Azelastine-
- Azelastine eye drop should not be used if you have red eyes because of any other type of infection or problem in eyes.
- If you have the condition of oversensitivity to any component of the brand that constitutes Azelastine, then do not use this drug.
- Pregnant women and lactating mothers are contrary for the use of Azelastine eye drop unless advised.
Dosage regimen of Azelastine-
Azelastine eye drop meant to be used in eyes only. The most recommended dosage of Azelastine is according to the severity of infection, but the usual dosing criterion comprises of 1-drop instillation for twice daily. For proper instillation, make a pouch of the lower eyelid and place a drop of solution into the eye by tilting your head backward and in an upward direction. Apply a gentle pressure with fingers at the corner of the eyes so that the liquid would not drain outside. The same should be followed in another eye if needed.
Undesirable responses of Azelastine-
- Blurred vision
- Pain in eyes
- Burning sensation in eyes
- Stinging or swelling of face, throat, or tongue
- Bitter taste of mouth
Safety measures while using Azelastine-
- While you use Azelastine eye drop, make sure you are not wearing any makeup or contact lenses or it may cause any other infections.
- Dropper tip should be prevented to touch to any surface or the solution would be contaminated.
- In case, if you are required to use any other eye medicine or contact lenses, then, you can do the same after 10-15 minutes of using Azelastine eye drop.