Product description of Lorazepam
Lorazepam is standard drug, which is approved by an FDA in March 1995 for reducing the symptoms that may occur due to depression and anxiety.
Class of this drug: Benzodiazepines
Available brands of this drug: Ativan
Available dosage form of this drug: Oral tablet
Available doses of this drug: 2 mg
Mechanism of action of Lorazepam:
The mode of action of this drug shows by affecting the level of GABA in the brain. This drug acts by:
This drug produces its advantageous effect by balancing the level of certain natural occurring chemical and causing soothing effect in the brain. This drug is further act by:
- Interacting with the GABA receptors
- Harmonizing the level of GABA
- Enhance the effect of GABA
- Blocking the neurotransmission
- Reducing the activity of nerves and brain
- Producing soothing effect
Indications of Ativan:
- Treat anxiety disorders
- Treats seizures
- Rarely used to treat insomnia
- Treat nausea and vomiting that occurs after chemotherapy
- Used to relax muscles
- Used to induce sedation in aggressive patients
Contraindications of Lorazepam:
The use of this drug should be avoided in an individual with:
- Allergy to this any ingredient of this drug
- History of acute intoxication with alcohol, narcotics and any psychotic agents
- Chronic respiratory disorders
- Acute narrow glaucoma
- Sleep apnea
- Myasthenia gravis
Drug interactions of Ativan:
List of some drugs that can interact with this medicine are:
- Opioid derivatives
- Sedative drugs
- Anti depressant drugs
- Anti psychotic drugs
- Anti histaminic agents
Storage condition for Lorazepam:
- This dosage should be kept at temperature that should not be exceeding to 30° C.
- The preparation of this drug should be kept in dark and dry place.
Dose and mode of administration of Ativan:
Take this medicine should be taken through oral cavity, with a glass of water.
Usual adult dose for treating anxiety:
Take this drug 2 to 3 times in a day.
This dosage form should be recommended for short term and should not be taken more than 2 to 4 weeks.
Usual adult dose for insomnia:
Take 2 to 4 mg dose of this drug at bedtime.
Don't take extra dose of this medicine, if you missed any dose of this dosage form.
Overdosing symptoms of this drug are:
- Mental confusion
- Respiratory depression
- Cardiovascular depression
- Paradoxical reactions
Side effects that may cause due to Ativan are:
- Abdominal and stomach pain
- Blurred vision
- Black and tarry stool
- Bleeding gums
Important information about Lorazepam:
This medicine can severely harm the unborn baby, if it is taken during pregnancy.
Avoid drinking alcohol while having this drug; this may enhance the risk of overdosing symptoms.
This drug should not be taken by lactating mother.