Brief overview of Arimidex:
Arimidex is an important medication that is commonly used for the treatment f breast cancer. This medication is mostly used to those women who have gone through "the change of life" end of monthly menstrual periods. Arimidex can also be used in women, who have experienced menopause, as a first treatment of breast cancer that has spread within the breast. It can also be used in anoother areas of the body to treat breast cancer in women whose breast cancer has worsened after taking Tamoxifen. Arimidex contains Anastrozole as the main ingredient.
How Arimidex works?
Arimidex falls under the class of medications called Nonsteroidal Aromatase inhibitors. This medication basically works by reducing the amount of estrogen the body makes. This action can slow or stop the development of many types of breast cancer cells that need estrogen to grow.
What are the contraindications of Arimidex?
- This medication should not be used if you are allergic to any ingredient found in Arimidex.
- Do not use this medication if you have not gone through menopause liver problems, osteoporosis, heart or blood vessel problems, or high cholesterol and lipid levels.
What are the drug interactions of Arimidex?
You should not use this medication along with certain birth control pills or hormone replacement therapies.
You should not use this medication if you are taking any prescription, nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement.
How to take Arimidex?
Arimidex is available as tablet dosage form; take it by mouth with a full glass of water. It can be swallowed with or without food once in a day. You should ingest Arimidex around the same time every day. Do not take less or more than one dose at a time. Do not stop intake of Arimidex without consulting a doctor.
What are the possible side effects of Arimidex?
Few common side effects such as weakness, headache, hot flashes, sweating, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, and weight gain.
What are the precautions of Arimidex?
- Stay away from the use of Arimidex if you are breastfeeding and a pregnant woman.
- Arimidex is not recommended to use in the case of children.
- Arimidex can cause dizziness so do not use it along with alcohol.