Alphagan comprises Brimonidine as a chemical compound. Alphagan is an ophthalmic preparation used for the treatment of glaucoma and irritation, itching and redness of the eye. Alphagan improves the condition of glaucoma by reducing the intraocular pressure by increasing the outflow of fluid of the eye.
Working of Alphagan?
Alphagan is an alpha adrenergic receptor agonist (primarily alpha-2). Alphagan shows a maximum peak of ocular hypotensive effect after at least two hours of use of the medication. Alphagan acts by a dual mechanism of action, firstly by reducing aqueous humor production and secondly by increasing use scleral outflow. The topical preparation decreases erythema through direct vasoconstriction.
Associated effects of Alphagan?
Side effects that a person may go through while using the Alphagan
- Disturbed heart rate.
- Pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest.
- Petty breathing.
- Severe puffiness, flush, or anxiety.
- Eye soreness or watery eyes.
- Lack of sensation or prickly feeling.
- Unusual taste, allergic reaction, disturbed vision, indigestion, disturbed breathing, epiphora, eye release, eye dryness, eye irritation, eye pain, eyelid edema, tachycardia, bradycardia, vasodilatation.
Precaution that should be used while using the Alphagan
- Avoid the use of Alphagan if you are allergic to the Alphagan or its ingredient.
- Don't use Alphagan if you are pregnant or intended to become pregnancy.
- Avoid work that need lots of alertness.
Alphagan is contraindicated with drugs such as
- Alphagan interacts with some antihypertensive drugs and reduces the blood pressure
- Alphagan action may be induced if consumed along with the CNS depressant drugs such as barbiturate, alcohol, sedative, anesthetic.
- MAO inhibitor inhibits the metabolization of the Alphagan and increases the hypotensive side effect.
Storage condition of Alphagan
Alphagan should be used up to 4 weeks after opening the bottle if the solution remains in the bottle discard it and use new. Keep the Alphagan eye preparation away from the reach of children. Keep Alphagan in dry, cool, and place away from direct sunlight and heat.