Succinct Overview of the medication Fluticasone:
Fluticasone is the generic of the renowned brand Advair Diskus that functions to prevent the production of a substance responsible for triggering inflammation in lungs. Fluticasone counters the chest congestion, wheezing, breath shortness and coughing due to asthma. The medication Fluticasone falls under the therapeutic category called corticosteroids and acts by lowering the swelling or irritation in airways for easier breathing. This is an impeccable therapy for the management of long-term asthma in children above 6 years of age or older.
Dosing schedule for Fluticasone:
For managing the respiratory condition like asthma, the initial dose is 88 mcg twice a day via oral inhalation with Novolizer device. The dose can be maximized to 440 mcg twice a day. Whereas the pediatric dose for treating asthma is 50 mcg twice a day, early morning and evening via oral inhalation with Novolizer device and the dose can be maximized to 100 mcg twice a day.
Contraindications with usage of Fluticasone:
- The patient should not use Fluticasone if examined allergic to this drug.
- Do not take Fluticasone, if you are having any bacterial, fungal, viral infection or the one developed by parasites, pinworm, malaria, giardia, hookworm prior consulting with a doctor.
- Do not take Fluticasone, if you are suffering from diseases like tuberculosis, glaucoma, herpes infection of eyes, liver trouble, weak immune system, or low bone mineral density prior consulting with a doctor.
- Do not administer the medication either to a pregnant woman or breastfeeding or nursing mother without prior consultation with doctor else may have to struggle with side effects.
Precautions to be followed with Fluticasone administration:
- Never take inhalation powder if you are lactose intolerant.
- Do not administer this medication to children below 4 years of age else may hinder the growth of your child.
Associated side effects with Fluticasone therapy:
Some associated side effects with Fluticasone therapy are Sneezing, Soreness in the throat, Wheezing, White patches on the facial skin, mild to moderate Headache, Cough, Sinus pain, slightly feverish and gastric upset.
Know the other drug interactions with Fluticasone:
The drugs that might interact with Fluticasone are Erythromycin, Clarithromycin, Nefazodone, Prednisone, Ketoconazole.